The Re-Opening Plan
Opening Slowly & Safely...
Since Governor Greg Abbott unveiled the plan to reopen Texas on Monday, MDPC staff and Session have been finalizing details for reopening the church. Of course, these plans are fluid, and may change if conditions worsen. Online worship will continue to be offered each and every Sunday.
Summary of Safety Measures
Here is a summary of the measures that MDPC is taking to ensure that your visit is as safe as possible.
- Signage and floor striping throughout building to control and direct traffic flow in hallways, maintain social distancing, and limit the use of restrooms to two persons at a time.
- Tables manned by volunteers at three major entrances (parlor, Grand Staircase, and west sanctuary doors).
- Exterior and interior doors that are not equipped with automatic openers are propped open so that people don’t need to touch a door.
- Most toilets and lavatory faucets are touch free.
- In Sanctuary and Chapel, alternating pews have been blocked from use and canisters of pre-moistened disinfecting wipes are strategically placed for access by volunteers and staff to wipe down areas between services.
- Pews will be fogged with a disinfecting mist before and after Sunday Services.
- All books, papers, friendship pads, and pencils have been removed from sanctuary and chapel pews.
- No printed bulletins (find Ministry Highlights here), and no passing of offering plates. Drop boxes for offering will be in the lobby and at the drop box at the main office.
- Beverage stations will be closed at this time.
- Families (including young children) are welcome to worship together.
Sunday, May 24
MDPC staff, session, and deacons (who feel comfortable returning) are invited to attend and to bring their immediate family. NO CHILDCARE WILL BE OFFERED.
Campus Hosts Needed
If you can help us welcome guests, direct interior traffic flow, and oversee safety measures on Sunday mornings, please sign up via the link below.
Pentecost Sunday, May 31
Assuming that the guidelines have not changed by this date, MDPC will reopen for corporate worship at up to 50% occupancy with continued social distancing. NO CHILDCARE WILL BE OFFERED.
At all stages, worshippers will be encouraged to practice personal responsibility and safety by wearing face masks, and not shaking hands, hugging, or lingering for conversations in the hallways (this will be difficult for us all!).
If you have been in contact with infected persons, or have experienced symptoms that may be COVID-19 related, or are medically vulnerable due to underlying health issues, please stay safely at home and continue to worship online. These include:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- Loss of taste or smell
- Intestinal issues
- Fever 100.0 degrees or higher
- Known close contact with a person who is lab confirmed to have COVID-19 (in this case, please self-quarantine for the recommended 14-day period)
Please park in Lot A, and enter through the Fellowship Hall/Parlor entrance, unless you need to use the handicap parking on the West Drive. Most doors will open automatically, or will be propped open to avoid unnecessary touch. The CLC will be closed to traffic.
Sanitation stations (containing masks, gloves,and hand sanitizer) will be located around entrances to the campus, and will be manned by volunteers. Wearing a mask is about protecting those around you, so please show love to your neighbor by complying with recommended behaviors.
Entering and Exiting the Facility
Ingress and egress to the Sanctuary will be controlled and limited. All those entering the Sanctuary should do so via the East Hallway (Chapel side) or the exterior sidewalk on the West drive. The East Hallway is separated into two sections - those entering the Sanctuary and those exiting the Sanctuary. For either action, please stay to the right.
The Preschool Hallway will be exit only, so there will be no south-bound foot traffic upon entering the Sanctuary (if you enter by the Grand Staircase, you will be redirected to the East Hallway, using the cut-through, or to the exterior West drive.) The hallway will be fully open for exiting the Sanctuary at the end of services.
Your Cooperation is Much Appreciated
This crisis has caused many changes – some needed and lasting, and some we are excited to leave behind! The good news is that it will not last forever, and we are optimistic about what lies ahead for our church family.
Childcare will not be available at the MDPC facility until June 14, and then it will only be for children four and under. (This is subject to change as public health and safety concerns evolve.)
from Pastor Alf
Click on the link below to read Pastor Alf's letter concerning in-person worship. The reopening plans are fluid and may change as circumstances warrant. The latest updates are found above.